So slight change of content here, Power of the Peanut Gallery is interesting but as life happens, I have found that I am much more inclined to write about what is going on in everyday life-- not that it is really interesting- but I am sure it will be far more entertaining.
First off, my Aunt is sick- as in really really sick- so all of us kids, my 2 cousins and I were called home. The flight home is usually uneventful- as was this one, with the exception of a 7 hour layover in Las Vegas resulting in an overnight in Honolulu. Under normal circumstances- that would not be bad- except for the fact I really really wanted to get home.
I am fortunate (if that is the proper word in this case) to have a friend who is off Island for a while and lets me borrow her truck for the duration I am here. That is fine- except when I got there the tires were flat (thats fine, I brought a little air compressor) and the battery was dead, expected. I had jumpers.
Then I thought I should drive around a bit to recharge the battery-- instead of heading home I decided to get gas. (bad move) I automatically shut the engine down and of course since I only went 3 miles, the battery died- but I was at a service station and they jumped me, and onward I ventured. I went out to the east side of the island and then turned around. Heading home through traffic, I paused to look at the waves and stalled. Crap. Crap. Crap. It was probebly the WORST place to stall on the island, single lane, heavy traffic, no shoulder. Brilliant. I pushed the dead truck off the road, the guy behind me helped (nothing like being home) And then headed back to town on foot. I lurked around a gas station asking people if they had jumpers, finally someone did. They had to drive in the reverse flow of traffic on the right shoulder to access the truck- great, then the battery was so corroded- it was not connecting well with his jumpers - and we could not get the terminal connectors off to even go and get a new battery- eventually we got it and I headed home.
So the next day I needed to get the registration updated for the truck. In Hawaii you have to get a safety inspection (like the emissions inspection in Utah) but they are not quite as slick here- you have to get a temporary safety, then go back to the dmv get a temporary registration (up to date) then go back and get your final safety- the go back and get your final registration.
But first things first. Insurance was out of date- so I had to go to the insurance place and get a new reprint of the card - im way too honest. I went to the dmv and i should have not said anything- but i said i was getting a new registration for a friend and they said that they needed her signature. Rats. I just told them she was in Texas. Now I have to mail it to her and wait till I get it back.
But, I do have a vehicle for a while.
Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment